CosmeCon.mp4 wins gold for integrated digital and physical retail event
August 3, 2021, El Segundo, CA – Pacific Retail Capital Partners, a premier operating and development group of retail-led properties with a legacy of award-winning programming, was honored to receive five awards of distinction during the 2021 virtual MAXI Awards event sponsored by the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC). The MAXI Awards showcase the retail real estate industry’s most innovative events, programs and technologies that add value to shopping centers and companies across the United States and Canada.
Four shopping centers in the PRCP portfolio and seven PRCP programs were recognized with finalist nominations. Centers included The Shops at Montebello in Montebello, CA; Northpark in Jackson, MS; Paseo Nuevo Shops & Restaurants in Santa Barbara, CA; and Broadway Commons in Hicksville, NY. During an unprecedented year for the industry, these centers channeled flexibility, creativity, compassion, and endurance to come together and expedite a vision for the future that focused on the needs of local communities, reimagined how use properties’ spaces, integrated e-commerce and pickup/delivery services, and reinvigorated the demand for experiential programs. Through innovation, leadership, and teamwork, Pacific Retail was the recipient of the following awards:
- Gold MAXI Award in category of Innovation for CosmeCon.mp4. Pacific Retail’s CosmeCon.mp4 integrated digital and physical retail to produce an innovative, joint-center event. The nine property “phygital” experience featured a custom website, tenant-led virtual classes, beauty boxes, outdoor pick-up parties and pop-up shops, and an influencer campaign. When safety mandates rolled out, PRCP marketing teams pivoted to curate local beauty boxes filled with tenant products that customers could pick up and enjoy at home during an all-day lineup of virtual masterclasses, live sessions, and shopping experiences. The result was a first-to-market initiative, double- and triple-digit year-over-year retailer sales increases, and 30,000+ visitors at socially distanced events. Influencer partnerships reached 1.8 million followers, generated 1 million impressions, and resulted in $6,000+ in ticket sales donated to local nonprofits.
- Silver MAXI Award in category of Community for Broadway Commons Drive-in Series. When New York properties closed due to COVID-19, the Broadway Commons marketing team pivoted to produce their first drive-in movie. The showing of “The Goonies” opened an avenue for restaurants to generate sales through new concession stands and curbside pick-up and car delivery options to attendees. The series would go on to feature 20+ drive-in movies, a drive-in graduation, and a drive-in concert. It welcomed over 7,500 guests, resulted in 50%-65% increases in restaurant sales, and generated more than $11,000 towards the business development budget.
- Silver MAXI Award in category of Community for The Shops at Montebello Halloween Drive-Thru. When many Los Angeles businesses reverted to virtual celebrations, The Shops at Montebello found a way to activate an empty overflow parking lot to drive traffic to the Center. In partnership with City of Montebello Mayor Pro Tem Kimberly Cobos-Cawthorne, National Latinos Peace Officer Association (NLPOA), and Los Angeles Lowrider Community, The Shops at Montebello hosted a drive-thru Halloween experience that both highlighted East Los Angeles’ unique lowrider culture and provided an alternative to families forced to forgo traditional trick-or-treating activities due to LA County’s social restrictions during the pandemic. The center engaged the community to execute a successful drive-thru event that featured 75 low rider vehicles and welcomed 910 people who received 500 lbs. of candy.
- Silver MAXI Award in category of Community for The Shops at Montebello ChalkWalk. The Shops at Montebello and the City of Montebello hosted the 1st Annual Montebello ChalkWalk during the COVID-19 pandemic. To ensure social distancing, each ChalkWalk participant pre-registered for a specific day, time slot, and parking space. A $30 donation got participants a bag of chalk and tape to design their parking space with messages of positivity and encouragement. The event raised $4.5K for the Montebello-Commerce YMCA and created a memorable and positive moment for the community.
- Silver MAXI Award in category of Community for the Northpark Fall Fest. The inaugural Northpark Fall Fest was a community give-back event benefitting the Mississippi Food Network. Encompassing all things distinctly Ridgeland, Fall Fest brought together five major components: stewardship of the environment, animal rescue, support of small businesses, fostering art, and the fight against hunger – all while providing a safe environment for guests to come together during 2020 restrictions. Event activations included a chalk walk, community mural, puppy kissing booth, scavenger hunt, and tenant-hosted pop-up shops. All proceeds were donated to provide 32,000 meals in the region.
“Pacific Retail Capital Partners is proud to have our marketing teams recognized with these global marketing awards – seven ICSC nominated programs with five silver and gold award winners,” said Najla Kayyem, Senior Vice President of Marketing for PRCP. “This is a product of teamwork, resilience, elbow grease, and a commitment to serving communities and tenants – not to mention a focus to drive true value for the ownership of the assets.”
PRCP centers have won multiple MAXI awards in the last five annual ICSC awards ceremonies.